Where can I buy an Almond tree in Toronto, On, Canada

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by seensokoot, Aug 17, 2009.

1. seensokoot

seensokoot Member

I would like to buy an almond tree to plant in my backyard and I would like any kind of info
    I Don't know if I can buy it from any garden center in Toronto or Richmond hill area.
    Also it would be helpful if there is any nursery that doesn't mind shipping the tree.
    Also I already have a little Hazelnut tree and a huge walnut tree + an apricot tree
    I think the almond tree self pollinates if it doesn't does having the apricot tree help?

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

@ sites you might try in your area

Campberry Farm RR#1, Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0
    905-262-4927
    Tree wizard Doug Campbell offers rare ornamental trees and plants. Checks made payable to R. D. Campbell. Catalogue $2

http://www.grimonut.com/

You could try Hall's Hardy Almond if it's available.

These guys will be able to help as well and provide the info you need

http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/almond.htm

Cheers

3. aristotle

aristotle New Member

The easiest way to grow an almond tree is to put a few organic almonds in your compost pile, if too hot do a separate small pile. Also try just starting them in a pot. I put some in and in the spring had several almond trees. The almonds are still attached to the roots, check around it to make sure it is not a peach or apricot pit - obvious by the remaining shell. I transplanted mine spring of 2011 and have 4 almonds on it already. They grow very fast and are extremely vigorous. They are pruned in spring in the same way a peach is pruned, all available on google. The almond flowers bloom in pairs, peaches are singly occurring. Hope this helps. Aristotle

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

See this thread for additional discussion. Note that almonds from seed-grown almond trees may have a high cyanogen content.

5. bonsaipf

bonsaipf Active Member

How can you tell if your seed grown almonds are safe to eat?