Identification: What is it?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Taraible, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Taraible

Taraible New Member

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone can identify this for me? It was a clipping from work that was growing with a type of palm plant. I love him and he seems to like living with me, I’ve had him for a little over a year now and he’s grown quite a bit. I’m just curious what he is though!
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Kalanchoe blossfeldiana.

3. Taraible

Taraible New Member

Cool thank you!! It’s never flowered though, but I’ll look it up more thoroughly now that I know his name!!

Thanks again!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Flowering house plants generally need much stronger light levels than foliage house plants will get by on in order to perform fully. This particular one needs both a period of many weeks of bright sunlight and a subsequent phase where a minimum of 2 weeks of short days occurs in order for it to set flower buds. A suggested annual routine is summering the plants outdoors followed by them coming inside just before cold (40 F/4 C) nights begin in fall, placing them in a room where no lights are on at night. Or using a box to give them 14 hours of darkness each night, during this second phase of treatment.

5. Taraible

Taraible New Member

Thank you Ron. He’s now sitting on top of my bookshelf. And he was outside all summer. So I sort of know what I’m doing lol! Thanks again for the info Ron.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Current appearance is that of one not getting enough light, which is what is usually seen with these when they are kept under ordinary household conditions. For improved response move to brightest possible location, preferably a south facing window. And to get flowering try the covering with a box for 14 hours each night method, if you do not have a suitable room. (This assumes there was enough sun exposure during the summer to promote flowering later, after the second stage of treatment. Otherwise at the moment the plant looks as though it was shaded the whole time).

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years