Trying to Identify roses in IL, USA!

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by JohannaC29, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JohannaC29

JohannaC29 Member

100_4679.jpg 100_4682.jpg 100_4677.jpg Hello and thank you for taking time to review this thread! I bought my home three years ago and have worked hard to revive the roses on the south side of my home. I am told that they are very old, however I have my own opinions on this. There are two distictly different types, however they are both climbers. I am attaching photos. If anyone can help me identify these I would be very grateful. Both types are self propagating, and one bush seems to be cross polinating as it exhibits deep red blooms resembling wild roses, as well as "magenta" blooms that seem to be closer to the double blooms of its pink neighbor as shown above.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I wonder if what you are describing is Dr. Huey. The magenta blooms are probably those of the original ornamental rose. This was probably grafted on to Dr. Huey as the root stock. So, when the rootstock sends out it's own shoots, you will get a plant of which part is Dr. Huey, and the part of which is the ornamental rose.

You have to decide if you want to keep the ornamental rose or rather have Dr. Huey instead. If you prefer the ornamental rose, remove all the Dr. Huey canes - otherwise, Dr. Huey will prevail and take over the plant. Dr. Huey is a climber and a once bloomer. Although beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, Dr. Huey is not a particularly nice rose in my eyes. And it is a bit of a black spot magnet. So, I would rather get rid of Dr. Huey.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Center photo 'Dr. Huey', other two not.

4. JohannaC29

JohannaC29 Member

Thank you very much! It does seem that even the foliage on the canes with dark red blooms is a lighter green than the foliage on the canes with the magenta blooms. And I have struggled with black spot since I moved in. I'll get to work on that! Many thanks!