Identification: This isn't Margaritaria Nobilis? What is it?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SyaaniTemppu, Jun 23, 2017.

1. SyaaniTemppu

SyaaniTemppu New Member

I've had 5 units of this plant growing for approx a year now. Seeds of this plant were sold as Margaritaria Nobilis which I was looking for. But it looks too much off to me.

I bought the seeds from here. I'm not familiar with their background or how and where they obtain all their seeds. But they seem to be pretty professional. Shipping and everything went well.

Germination didn't take too long; something like 1-2 weeks. Since germination, these plants have been growing for 11 months. Indoors. First half year in ~2 dl plastic cups. Remaining time in these ~ 1 l (?) pots. Currently, these plants are approx. 15 cm tall:

UqZvQXg.jpg

I don't have and I'm not able to find much information about Margaritaria Nobilis (besides the blue fruits). What I've compared the leaves to photos on Google, they don't seem to match. Unless the shape of leaves change when the plant gets older. My plants' leaves have these 'spiky' edges and pointy ends:

nJgE7ZN.jpg

Also, some of the leaves have this odd shape at the beginning of the leaf:

BKuqclW.jpg

Someone else have had the same situation here but without a solution. Mine seeds were similar as seen in this photo (of this ebay listing). Even the seeds look off. Too big and does real Margaritaria Nobilis seeds even turn to look like that?

Additional photos:
    xCIPs2S.jpg
    yVGnFn2.jpg
    XeabqqG.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what this plant might be? And also, if it's toxic or not. I haven't died so far though lol.
    Also, (assuming this isn't Margaritaria Nobilis) does anyone know where to obtain real Margaritaria Nobilis seeds?

Aka Bastard hogberry or Phyllanthus Nobilis

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, it's not Margaritaria. As to what it could be... first thought was Araliaceae, but I am doubting that now. Would love to know, it's an interesting plant.

3. SyaaniTemppu

SyaaniTemppu New Member

I've done some research with no answer.
    However, it seems like this plant is from Anacardiaceae family.

I've went through many photos of different genera and species but nothing seem to fully match. Well, there are loads of species that I can't find more information than the name (Internet as my source). The issue is the leaves; most of them have either entire or clearly toothed margin. None of which I've seen had similar spiny margin.

I was able to see (young) Rhus Typhina at local botanic garden and it was like mine plant. But with different margin on leaves. Also, seems like the seeds look totally different.
    Based on google images, some species from Spondias genus have seeds that have similar look as mine seeds.

I haven't felt any skin irritation so far. Apparently some species from the family should be poisonous and cause skin irritation on touch.

Also based on wikipedia, Burseraceae is some sort of sister group/family to Anacardiaceae family. Mine plant could be from it too. But I haven't spent much time on checking that.

Still looking -->