Taming the Philodendron...

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by susan125, Aug 7, 2012.

1. susan125

susan125 Member

Hello and sorry for over killing the pictures on this post.

http://www.coredatarecovery.co/images/plant1.jpg

http://www.coredatarecovery.co/images/plant2.jpg

http://www.coredatarecovery.co/images/plant3.jpg

This started out as 2 little fronds and something that was intended to fill in a corner space in our living room - and now is quickly starting to go crazy.
    I'm here posting on a family members forum account as I've been threatened that if I don't find a way to trim this guy I may be out on the street. ...personally I love it and would let take over our home but sadly this will not be the case both because it will needs to be transplanted to a bigger pot soon, and because my wife will banish me if this happens

It is planted in with a pothos and seems to be thriving but I'm not sure where to rip/clip the stems/fronds off at.
    I've heard that, similar to a dieffenbachia, grabbing a frond at the base and ripping in a sort of out and down motion is the thing to do with the split leaf as well.

Any advice with regards to getting this guy down to a manageable size without doing it any harm would be appreciated.

Thankyou!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Not sure I understand the question. If you want to trim the plant in general back to a more manageable size, take a knife and cut off a piece of the main stem. It doesn't especially matter where, so long as you leave each individual plant in the pot (each stem coming from the soil line is probably a separate plant) a couple leaves to rebuild from. The cut-off part will root in a vase of water, if you know anybody who needs one, or if you want to start over completely with a brand-new, small plant.

Both the pothos (Epipremnum aureum) and split-leaf philodendron (Monstera deliciosa) usually do fine with cramped roots, so if the situation dictates that you have to leave them in that pot for a while longer, they'll probably be fine. The more rootbound they get, the more often they'll need water, though.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Better course of action: you and the monstera keep the house and put your anti-plant family members out on the street!
    You have some handsome plants.

Here is excellent information---show these photos to your grumbly kin and say See? This is the way monsteras are supposed to grow!
    I mean, really.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera deliciosa large pc.html

I grudgingly admit that there are times when a bit of trimming is in order (found that 12' of philodendron vineage surpassed the threshold of living-room takeover) but please go gently! Hope that your family will learn to see the beauty of your plants.

Good Luck to you all!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm sorry, Mr. Subjunctive, but in no world is Monstera deliciosa a Philodendron of any sort. It's a Monstera; the proper common name is "Swiss Cheese Plant" if anything. I've always just called them Monsteras.

Susan, or whoever's in there, I'm with Togata - that's a beautiful specimen and I wouldn't be trimming it at all - I'd be training it up the wall, which is what it wants to do anyhow. The longer your vine gets, the larger and more beautiful the leaves will become.

5. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Lorax: you've heard of common names, yes? Both Monstera deliciosa and Philodendron bipinnatifidum have the common name "split-leaf philodendron." And I can prove it. Monstera deliciosa is also known as swiss-cheese plant, ceriman, and half a dozen other things, but the original poster used "split-leaf philodendron," so I was rolling with them. I also included the correct botanical name, if you'll notice.

It's true that one of them is not actually a philodendron, but common names know no rhyme or reason. Nephthytis is not Nephthytis, pothos is not Pothos, split-leaf philodendrons aren't Philodendron (except when they are).

6. susan125

susan125 Member

Much appreciate the feedback everyone. You guys are crazy with the amount of knowledge you have on all the specific species. - especially to a plant newbie such as myself.

I had no idea cutting the plant anywhere along its growth was ok. The point being Togata's comment on "vineage". I also wasn't aware this thing grew like a vine.
    I've really only ever looked up enough on the plant to feed it adequately as well as to make sure the pot it is in and the pothos it is sharing the pot with were all ok sharing the same realestate.

Thank you mrsubjunctive, I've always been under the impression that some (most?) plants needed to be cut/trimmed at a certain point along its growth in order to avoid damage or stunting further growth.
    With regards to what Lorax kindly shared - again, I had no idea that the plant shouldn't be standing on its own, as opposed to growing up the wall like a vine.
    ...lol if you noticed in the pictures, you'll see that I've been trying to train the plant with string, sort of causing it to grow in and up on itself instead of against something like a trellis or wall.

Seeing this Monstera as a vine not only helps me to treat how it should be growing but also how to trim it. This is just testament to my ignorance surrounding plants in general.

Thanks again for taking a few minutes of your time to respond.

p.s.
    @ Lorax - my wife is sitting here as I reply - hearing your name, she wanted me to write this: "This thing is a Thneed.
    A Thneed's a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need
    "

...no idea what that means, so proly something I'll need to Google. Must be plant related as she's saying these plants are my Thneed. (ill apologize ahead of time if it's something offensive ;) )

7. togata57

Yo, folks, I referred to my philodendron as having 'vineage'.
    Have never cohabited with a monstera (to my sorrow).
    Please spend some time reading the information provided by the most excellent ExoticRainforest (refer to link above), which will help guide you in your monstera and pothos care.

Monstera, philodendron, and pothos ARE all aroids---members of the family Araceae.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Not at all offensive. You'll find that my namesake the Lorax, who speaks for the trees, was violently against thneed production, though. My signature in fact used to read "you don't need a thneed."

--

@ Mr. Subjunctive.

I'm completely aware of common names, although I don't like many of them for the exact reasons you've pointed out. In particular for the Aroids, they're often hideously misleading - pertinent specifically to this thread, while both Philodendrons and Monstera are native to my woods, they've got wildly different habitats and needs. And don't get me started on "Elephant Ear" for the large-leafed genera!

Ugh. This is why I'm always going to prefer the common names in Spanish - they're normally the same as or very close the genera so no confusion is ever possible. (A Monstera here is Monstera, commonly; Anthuriums are Anturio, and Philodendrons are Filodendron.)

9. togata57

There are people of my acquaintance who make no distinction between pothos and philodendron.
    Sigh.