Identification: Succulent ID, possibly overwatering?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by kpaxer, Mar 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kpaxer

kpaxer New Member

I have this plant here and believe it is a succulent of some sort but I haven't been able to identify it myself. The leaves seem kind of moisture-bloated, but very green and overall healthy looking. I probably water it only every 2-3 weeks if that, still worried if that might be too much.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

If I were given this plant just as it is, my inclination would be to see if it was an orchid. Perhaps an ephiphyte. I'd look for fat roots in the very loose potting medium close to the base of the plant. Other than that, it could be a lily of some sort. Or so many other things really.

How did you acquire it, how old is it, what's the potting mix like, any evidence of roots showing, are the leaves the same color underneath, do they injure easily, and what light are you giving it...

I'd suggest letting the soil dry out between waterings for a while at least until you know what it is. If it's taking 2-3 weeks, either the pot or the potting medium are making it retain water, so you need to fix that. I'm still thinking toward orchid mix and a breathable pot. Terra cotta, or maybe a coir planter.

3. kpaxer

kpaxer New Member

Thank you for the excellent recommendations, thanrose. Here is some more info:

It was a gift from a friend, she bought it at a small gift shop, not a plant store. It came in a very small (1/2 inch x 1/2 inch) ceramic container. I have had it for 2.5 years. It has always grown very well and I have re-potted it a number of times in order for it to continue to grow. I use succulent potting soil for it.

Yes, the leaves are the same color underneath. Every single leaf looks the same, with the "wet" looking tip, there are none that look different. There are no roots showing.

I was giving it access to direct light and it began to look burnt out. I removed it from direct light and it got much happier and fuller.

Also, this is not a new thing for the plant, the leaves have looked like this for a while, but since it never has gotten worse I've hoped it would clear up. Is it possible that this is just what the leaves are meant to look like?

I will change it to a breathable pot, thank you for the advice!

4. tobenai

tobenai New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  5. kpaxer

kpaxer New Member

Excellent! That is an extraordinary help, thank you very much tobenai! I think the plant is probably healthy, but I'll read up on haworthias some more.

6. tobenai

tobenai New Member

ya, your plant looks healthy. My sister bought one that looked very nice. But somehow I managed to kill the main plant. I am hoping the babies will survive and thrive.