something potentially infectious NEED HELP

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Gail H Knowles, May 21, 2017.

1. Gail H Knowles

Gail H Knowles New Member

Hello
    I live just north of Kingston Ontario and I have something spreading in my perennial garden
    Does anyone know what I am dealing with?
    thanks in advance
    cheers
    Gail
    upload_2017-5-21_14-10-49.png upload_2017-5-21_14-11-17.png upload_2017-5-21_14-12-18.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's affecting multiple different, unrelated plants, so not an infection. Looks far more like herbicide spray - has a neighbour been using any?

3. Gail H Knowles

No sprays have been used thanks for responding

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Gail, I'm thinking along Michael's line, too. It looks to me as if some topical, inadvertent application has caused this. I wouldn't expect the new growth to look like this if that's the case. Unless you have teenagers shaking soda cans and spraying each other, or granular fertilizer being tossed willy-nilly, or Epsom salts sprinkled, or soapy water being tossed out and spattering. A lot of things applied in this manner could cause this. Sometimes an innocuous application that wouldn't usually hurt can be followed by intense sunlight that might do it, too. hmmm, a bodily function could produce a spray of fluid that burns in random spatters. Do you have any dogs or other animals that could be marking?

5. Gail H Knowles

thanks for responding
    I am monitoring to check for spread still, strange thing is that new growth on nearby plants have some of the edges of the leaves stained, I was going to say burned but that description is too drastic. I have resisted the impulse to dig everything out based on both of your answers
    btw, we have no dogs, and have not used chemicals or fertilizer
    cheers

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd guess that whatever it is, won't last - further new growth through the late spring and summer will (I hope!) be unaffected.