Soil stabilization along steep side of a slough

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Enibas, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Enibas

Enibas New Member

I’d like to add a few native plants and grasses along a steep slope on a slough to increase the soil stabilization. Would you have any suggestions for what types of plants/grass to use and where to buy them in the Vancouver area.
    Thank you

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depending on the size of the area, there may be some additional factors to consider:

Shoreline Management and Stabilization Using Vegetation

These lists from the Washington Native Plant Society are useful as a starting place (you didn't mention sun regime, soil type, etc. so difficult to suggest specifics):

Washington Native Plant Society: Starflower Image Herbarium

The Native Plant Society of BC maintains a list of native plant suppliers in BC:

http://www.npsbc.ca/pdf/NativePlantNurseriesandSeedSuppliersinBC.pdf

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    interesting project -
    i have a few thoughts -
    1. is this fresh or salt water? (EDIT: sometimes at the coast it's a combination - so the fresh water floats on top of the salt water - and that is esp apparent if it freezes ... and ducks walk on it to find swim space)
    2. does the water level change significantly by season (or by tide, for that matter)
    3. what wildlife are sharing this with you (ducks are sweet and native of course, but just dig out everything pretty it seems!)
    4. is it frozen (like this past week in Vancouver - at night)
    5. I am not an expert on this - however, one must be careful to not change any habitat - fish, birds, etc. ... and for sure not introduce non-native --- what is that plant that is all up and down the river in Penticton - purple loostrife (spell), I think ... not to mention the ongoing battle with introduced Milfoil in the lake (from aquariums?) ... and obviously no commercial ground covers (ivy, vinca, etc)
    6. does one need a permit to amend the foreshore in your municipal (regional district) jurisdiction? ... I know that retaining walls, apart from height, often need approval - just like docks and decks at the water's edge. Perhaps your city has some info to help you

7. is there a local park with similar land-water interzone that cares for nature and or has been remediated - might inspire you - what about out at the Reifel (spell) bird place in Ladner - for a walk and casual survey

it sounds like you want to take care of your nature spot. I Look fwd to learning more as you proceed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018