Small Leaves and Closely Spaced Buds

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Brian2412, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Brian2412

Brian2412 Member

I planted 7 different grape vines this spring with various results (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Sangiovese, Tempranillo). On a few of the grapes, the leaves were very small and now that they've fallen, the buds seem extremely close together.

Can someone tell me if this is a characteristic of this variety? Is there anything I need to be concerned about because of this growth (i.e. is it stunted due to some nutrient deficiency?)?

My soil is very sandy (QuD) and Alkaline. I planted a little late (April/May) and am training these to a single cordon. The Chardonnay reached the top wire (5 1/2 '), but the others did not. This is Washington Wine Country, so they should grow well here (Richland, WA).

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

hey nice pictures! when i looked at your vines i thought something was odd about these vines so i went outside to compare them with mines and this is what i noticed. i have buds that close (1inch - 2inch) but your buds are way bigger. i dont have the same type of vines as yours maybe thats why, but yeah that is the only difference i notice is the size of your buds, theyre huge!

3. Brian2412

Brian2412 Member

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it.