Sea asparagus

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by onebusymama, Mar 25, 2018.

1. onebusymama

onebusymama New Member

I’m trying to track down some sea asparagus to grow at home in a hydroponics system. Anyone know of where I might find them? I’m not looking for seeds, prefer plants already started. Thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's an interesting horticultural challenge! I suspect the only way you can acquire plants is harvest from the wild. I've not heard of any other attempts at commercial production, and this would not be a plant grown in cultivation otherwise.

Frog likes this.
  3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Assuming that you are referring to Salicornia pacifica or a related species, you should be able to find it at some of the local beaches. I have seen it here long ago, but I don't remember the exact location(s). The problem will be finding a location that isn't in a park. A good bet would be near the dike trail along the northwest side of Boundary Bay.

onebusymama likes this.
  4. onebusymama

onebusymama New Member

Thanks. I’m thinking maybe I’ll contact a grower on one of the Hawaiian islands and find out how he grow his commercially in a hydroponics system. I was hoping it might be easier to find here in Canada since certain businesses are carrying it like Chefs Plate.