Scuppernong Vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Gabe502000, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Gabe502000

Gabe502000 Member

I recently retired and have taken over my father in law's grape vines. In LA (lower Ala SE Corner) We grow sort of a super muskedine grape they call a Scuppernong. The "vinryard" is 25' long and 4' wide and is probably 50 years old with above ground roots 6" in diameter. It appears that about 40 yrs ago someone put 8 wooden posts in the ground and wired the vines to them to try and keep them up off of the ground. I've been reading about pruning and this is the time of the year to do it.... Is there somewhere I can get a practical primer on the subject? Sort of like "GrapeVine Pruning For Dummies?" I'm fixing to take a soil sample to the county AG service to see what to fertilize them with and how to apply it, So this will be a good time to start. Thank You! Gabe

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Gabe, too bad you missed this:
    https://sites.aces.edu/group/homegr...st=84c631ab-2d45-4e01-a3df-a3ec5f1dad14&ID=45
    Right in your hometown. May still be good to contact the folks there. There was another demonstration offered in March.

This is a page from the Alabama Cooperative Extension on muscadine production for commercial growers. Pruning is down the page, but no diagrams:
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0774/

There are similar pages from the extension offices of most southern states where that type of grape is grown.

Happy growing.

3. Gabe502000

Gabe502000 Member

Hello! I appreciate the reply and I wish it were that simple.... The workshop was in Clanton, and we're in Clayton, about a hundred miles south of there! It's a common thing to have happen as similar as the names are in sound and spelling.Thus far I've raked about 40 years worth of leaves and decayed slime out from under the vines (after having gotten them up off of the ground,) and leaves are popping out everywhere. I believe that it likes the attentiion! while it was dormant I cut an oak tree out of it that had been entangled in it's vines for a good many years. I got 3 or 4 gallons of grapes off it last year and it could really take off with some TLC. Gabe