poor rose!!!

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by dasha, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dasha

dasha Active Member

Hi. About a month ago I planted a beautiful Topaze Jewel rose bush (tea rose) and I used my own compost and some bone meal. The very next day 3 roses bloomed. The very next day after that I went to the garden to see that my dog had dug it out of the ground and cleaned all the soil off it and left it to die overnight. When i found it it had been out of the ground the whole night. I planted it again and until today the stems looked pretty bad, turning brown and the thorns whitish. Now I see there are some things that I believe are new stems growing out of the old ones and quite a few of them. Could it be coming back from the shock?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: Your Hybrid Rugosa rose is still alive, keep it mulched, watered etc. and it will gradually come back.

Note that although rose hobbyists remain passionate about it amending of planting hole backfill is not beneficial. Planting new stock in pockets of liberally amended backfill can actually be detrimental, affecting the movement of water into and out of the planting hole in an adverse way. This often results in slower establishment then when backfilling with existing soil only, so that there is a uniform soil texture throughout the rooting area.