British Columbia: Pink Lady Apple Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by darkangel, Apr 27, 2010.

1. darkangel

darkangel Member

Anyone know if and where you can find a Pink Lady Apple Tree preferably here in the lower mainland (vancouver)? Looking for one roughly 5-6 feet tall. Or if there's anyplace online that ships to Canada?
    Any information would be appreciated.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know where you can buy Pink Lady, but you should be aware that this variety needs lots of heat for a long time to ripen properly. It is the last apple to ripen in the central Washington growing area. It is harvested after Fuji, which I am currently growing in Burnaby. I find that Fuji barely ripens before hard frosts arrive, but it doesn't have the sweetness of the store-bought apples, and so is really not worth growing here. Pink Lady will only be worse, unless you plan to grow it in a greenhouse or expect global warming to really take off soon.

3. Sidney

Sidney Member

Pink Lady is available from Van Well Nursery in Washington State. However, unless you plan on growing it commercially, it is unavailable to home gardens. It is licensed through a growing contract. It is a patented cultivar of a Cripp's Pink.

4. Jeff Koelewyn

Jeff Koelewyn New Member

Pink Lady is not a variety of apple.It isnt a patented cultivar of Cripps Pink.....it is theoretically a trademark used on Cripps Pink itself but most people like yourself think its a cultivar