British Columbia: Photos of Deformed Lily Foliage

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by WesternWilson, May 22, 2010.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Here are two pictures of Japanese Gold Band lilies in my garden. As you can see, one is sporting rather odd and deformed "feather duster" foliage, the other stalk is normal.

I have no idea what is causing this, although the affected clump did get a bit of a slice from a careless shovel.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. WesternWilson

Thanks Daniel...now will this recur next year, or is this a one time thing?

I had thought perhaps I should pull this clump in the fall and divide it as a way to remedy the situation.

What are my best options?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Assuming that's what it is (physical damage to the meristem), then it will almost certainly be a one-off. Next year, the stem will grow from another bud off the bulb.

5. WesternWilson

Thankyou so much! This is a particularly lovely lily, not generally seen in gardens. I planted it in my sidewalk border specifically so that others can enjoy it. It took me a long, long time to find one for purchase, and I am so pleased to be able to share it in this way; I am very happy to hear that this year's fasciation is not permanent.

Regards,
    Janet

Attached Files:

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is a lovely lily. In the photo the effect looks rather interesting, but I suppose it may just look like an aberrant plant when you are standing in front of it. I am rather curious to know if it will form any successful flowers. Maybe you can post a photo if it does.

7. WesternWilson

I will post a photo the result of the big feather duster effect! I did look farther down the stalk and it is obvious now that several stalks are growing together. I do not hold out much hope that this bunching will flower in any way. Happily the separate clump behind it is growing normally. We will have a few sprays to look forward to for 2010!

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Used to be one next door. I can smell it just thinking about it. Noticed recently I don't see this species on the market these days.

9. WesternWilson

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the heavenly fragrance. Thick and sweet, but with a citrusy note that saves it from being cloying.

It is odd that this lily, whose export has now been banned by Japan (last time I checked), is so revered in its homeland and has so thoroughly been forgotten by our domestic lily industry.

If you have only one lily in your garden, I would vote that you make it Lilium auratum. Although it took me many years and a few purchases that turned out to be "something else", I am so glad I found this species.

10. WesternWilson

11. WesternWilson

Here are the late summer photos...the fasciated stems did set scads of buds and the buds all bloomed. The blooms are smaller than the lovely normal ones, but are otherwise normal looking.

I will dig up all the clumps this fall as the Lilium auratum are just huge, too big for the spot I have them in. I think the bulbs are now deep and massive, so it will be quite a project.

And we will see if the fasciation returns next year!

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm looking at threads on fasciated plants today. I assume it didn't return or you'd have told us?