1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I am growing three paw paws, one of which is now about 5' high and ready to be transplanted to a sunnier area. Is anyone growing this plant in the lower mainland? Presumably some are, since Ray Mattei has been selling the plants for years ...

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I have two 4 foot+ tall, and several smaller ones. Why do you ask?

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Varieties 'Mango' and 'Wilson' have been the fastest growers for me: I've got about 8 varieties, and notice a big variation in vigour. No fruit yet, though. Although they're typically understory plants in their 'native' range, they seem to like a lot of sun around here (references to shading young plants refer to first year seedlings, not established/grafted plants). You'll come across a lot of references that warn against transplanting these, on account of brittle and fleshy roots, but I've moved a few and haven't lost any...just be careful, get an extra big rootball, and support it so it doesn't torque or bend the roots.

4. soccerdad

I have limited space, since I live on the west side of vancouver where according to the recent sale of a burner house 4 doors down from me the cost of land is currently about $350 per square foot - or about $9,000 per square meter if that is your preference - and I am interested in knowing how successful people are at keeping them within a manageable size. I'd like to keep mine no higher than 10' and with not too much spread.

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Based on the ones I'm aware of here on the coast, growing too large shouldn't be an issue: they're relatively small trees by nature, perhaps a bit smaller yet in this climate(s). I doubt you'll ever hear the term 'rampant pawpaw' in BC, though I'd consider that promising news.

6. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I've had mine for 4 years and they grow very slowly in their partly shaded site. They have very attractive foliage, but I have had no fruit yet. One good thing is deer apparently don't like their leaves, at least mine are untouched (although the deer eat everything else around here).

7. soccerdad

My site will be full sun - to the extent that "sun" is a meaningful term in vancouver - and I'll give it a try. I know that I need a second variety for pollination and I really don't have room for one, so the second will be stuck in the alley. Too bad I can't interest my neighbour in taking it...

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Known to be approaching or having reached 30' tall in Seattle.

9. soccerdad

I don't know of anyone with a lot that is large enough to accommodate a tree that tall.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's lots of lots with much bigger trees on them than that.