Pacific Coast Pear rust

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Marilyn in North Van, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Marilyn in North Van

Marilyn in North Van New Member

I am pretty sure my pear tree has Pacific Coast Pear rust. The leaves have orange-red spots on them and the pears are starting to fall off while still only about the size of my thumb. It did the same thing last year - the entire crop of pears fell off. I believe that this year the rust has also moved to a quince 50 ft away from the pear tree
    I don't know what type of pear it is although the tree is a very old specimen (approx 100 years old) left over from when the property was an orchard so I suspect it is not a fancy cultivar.
    Does anyone know what I can do to save the tree? I'm sure the crop is gone this year but maybe in the future...? Also, should I be cleaning up the leaves and fallen pears carefully?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you mean Pear Trellis Rust? (link to factsheet with control methods from BC Agriculture)