Need to reboot this Pachira Tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JulietSix, May 29, 2018.

1. JulietSix

JulietSix New Member

2DEDED04-BA75-4D93-B579-58962784CB7B.jpeg I’m looking for some advice/guidance on getting this pachira tree going again. I’ve owned this guy since 2007 but kinda neglected it a little this and last year. It grew too tall for the planter it was in. It lost a couple of its friends it was braided with over the years and only one stem is what’s left. I know these can be forgiving plants and are pretty resilient. I cut the stem in half and planted it in new potting mix. The top half seems to be recovering from the trauma and is beginning to bud at the top. However, I’m concerned about the base stem which hasn’t budded but still seems healthy (firm and green). Is there any way I can encourage both stems to encourage new branches and growth in general? The main base stem definitely seems stunted like it doesn’t want to do anything. As I’ve said I’ve had this plant for 11 years and would prefer to keep him going.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If investigating this on your own, look into "back budding".

There seem to be some hormones (zeatin) that can induce it, but I couldn't find a commercial product readily available. At your elevation, are you getting cool nights? You may want to bring this back indoors into a sunny window location.

3. JulietSix

JulietSix New Member

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into that. The plant is typically outside right now out of direct light and brought in at sunset.