Need some recommendations for zone 9b (Florida)

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by matt112981, Nov 3, 2009.

1. matt112981

matt112981 Member

Hi everyone, I am new to gardening and I am looking for some flowers that will have a year round or close to it bloom, if such a flower exists. To give an example of the flowers we like, we really like Peonies , but I have heard they won't grow in the heat of 9b Florida. I am looking for something that has a large attractive bloom possibly in pink or light colors. I know this may be a tall order ,please keep in mind I am new to this, be gentle haha. The area of the garden will have morning shade until approx. 9:30-10:00 am then sun till dusk. would that accomodate a "full sun" flower?

Thank You, Matt

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

The favorite for FL Zone 9b would be Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. You can get a lot of varieties in bloom color and size. You'll find only a few at the big box stores, but it could get you started. Try local nurseries for more variety. Blooming will slow down during droughts and serious cold, but really does go year round. We had a very brief chilled period a few weeks ago, and my blossoms were smaller. Recovered now.

Catharanthus rosea or madagascar periwinkle is considered an annual elsewhere, but will grow for several years if you keep it pinched or pruned.

While you can grow camellias here, they do better as understory (shaded) than full sun and only bloom in winter. Azaleas are also winter bloomers for us.

(For those northernmost among us, my azaleas are putting on a light bloom right now. Means my Feb-March flower production will be less, but it's still lovely.)

Year round color in that much sun in our zone could mean going for foliage with crotons or maybe cordylines.