Identification: Need help identifying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mili, May 24, 2018.

1. Mili

Mili New Member

Hello!
    I have this plant growing for over a year now, thinking it was an Orange tree. After a year it started branching and growing vines. It has two kinds of leaves. I've noticed it likes being in the sun rather than shade and it needs regular watering. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Passiflora of some kind, I am told the axillary tendrils and extrafloral nectaries on the petiole are distinguishing features.

Mili likes this.
  3. Mili

Mili New Member

Oh wow! Do you by any chance know when should i expect it to blossom? Would be so cool if it is indeed a passiflora of some kind, I've just googled it and the flowers look so interesting :D
    strange thing is that i never even saw a plant like that before and i wonder how did it come to be in my flower pot?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, it looks like the woody plant before it (assuming you didn't stick broken branches in there) was the orange tree. Maybe a seed found its way into the soil when the orange tree was in the nursery? Seeds can be dormant for several years before germinating.

As for blossoming--it shouldn't take too many years, might even be this year. It has decent growth on it already.

5. Mili

Mili New Member

Oh, I've put the old broken branches there when i saw the vines growing. Thought that will help the plant grow.
    Thank you so much for helping, im so excited now :D