Munk apple tree question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by timezone, May 29, 2007.

1. timezone

timezone Member

I just bought a place that has a beautiful apple tree( well crab apple I think). The owner called it a munk apple tree. I can't find any info on the type?..any insight
    My question though is that she has ignored it last year and it has many sucker branches comes off it...when is the best time to prune it so that it will still flower the next year

thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Haven't heard that term. Vigorous sprouting of apple (and crabapple trees) often result of excessive pruning, including topping. If this is the case there your (mature?) tree will fare better if you let it grow back the removed crown portions for some years, then remove occasional whole crossing or rubbing branches as these become apparent - instead of going over the whole tree annually and making myriad small cuts.

3. timezone

timezone Member

thanks Ron
    can't find anything about Muck apples either..must be another variety. Yes it is a mature tree but it hasn't been aggressively pruned if anything it has been ignored. These tiny new branches are growing everywhere and I feel are creating density that may slow air flow..but I know little about fruit trees..