Moving Leycesteria formosa

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by JudyH, Oct 13, 2005.

1. JudyH

JudyH Member

Now that I know what this plant is, thanks to the wonderful people on this site, I need to know how easy or hard it will be to move it. I have no choice except to move it or kill it, it is in a very inconvenient spot. I would hate to kill it because I like it and have never seen one anywhere else. I have a great spot for it and don't want to kill it trying to move it.

All my research only comes up with ways to start from seed or cutting. I want to dig up an established plant and move it to a new spot in the yard. I need to know what the root system is like and how large of a dirt ball I have to leave around it...

Please help
    JudyH

2. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

It is easy to grow and I think you could move it easily. This would be a good time of year to do it. Don't be surprised if it comes up from from the roots you left behind accidentally.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have started many cuttings of this plant over the nearly ten years I've had it, and they have been planted and replanted indiscriminately; I've never had one die after repotting or replanting. So my guess is that the roots are not very sensitive. I didn't see your earlier post so I don't know how big your shrub is, but at this time of year especially I would not hesitate to move it. As for a root ball (and I guess you may have done this by now), I wouldn't torment yourself by leaving it too big. Given the time of year and the forgiving damp nature of the PNW climate, you could probably shake all the dirt right off it with impunity.

By the way cuttings are easy; my technique has been to cut right at a leaf node where the stem is not hollow.