Moving a 7ft Nandina

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Anne Taylor, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I once had a tiny triangle plot in a sidewalk. I chose with care, 5 select plants and a set of river rock and mulched the whole thing on course sand. The verticle element was a small 18" twisted nandina domestica that I felt sorry for. I babied it a bit. It responded. I smiled. It responded - a bunch... I've stopped smiling. It's grown up near the soffits of the house. it's 4 feet wide. The symmetry and proportion of the triangle plot is long gone. However, I do love this bruiser, and I have a spot for him about 8 feet away. Anyone evey moved this species at this size? I'm thinking wintertime, or what passes for it in Victoria, but any tips on the configuration of it's root system?
    Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Height easily controlled by pruning out oldest, tallest canes. These will then start over again from the bottom. Habit, including roots similar to related Mahonia (Berberis) aquifolium.

3. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

I've had terrible luck moving Oregon Grape because of it's deep roots. Would it be the same for Heavenly Bamboo? Just wondering. I'm sure winter would be the time to try.