magnolia pruning

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Renton Bocephus, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Renton Bocephus

Renton Bocephus Member

I have a magnolia tree that has overgrown its location. I am wondering if it is possible to prune it to an appropriate size without damaging it.

See attached pictures.

003.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Kosar and De Vos Hybrid or similar Yulania type. Normally whacking these back does not have an attractive outcome and it is suggested not to prune on them much. However, one pretty good reference at least suggests cutting them down low to start them over when this seems in order. You would still end up with stumps where the cuts were made, but it is a way to make the bush markedly smaller again and ending up with most of it still having a natural structure - after it grows back for awhile.

I've given a winged euonymus similar treatment more than once here. It soon becomes larger than desired in the spot again. But as with the magnolia cutting its branches bark lightly or part way only would not produce an appealing structure.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  3. Renton Bocephus

Renton Bocephus Member

How big can I expect this tree to grow?

What is the chance of a successful transplant?

Thanks

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Like all trees and shrubs will just keep growing larger until it dies. Transplanting not likely to work out, unless undertaken by a contractor with big enough equipment - who knows what is required. Most property owners who would be willing to pay the fee for this would spend it only on a prized specimen.

Would have to be done in spring, just before bud break, as deciduous magnolias tend to fail if dug when dormant. I have also moved a small, recently planted specimen in August and had good response.