Lemon Questions, New guy!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by clearlynotstefan, Jun 20, 2009.

1. clearlynotstefan

clearlynotstefan Member

Hi guys, just signed up, and look forward to participating in the forum. I live in an apartment on Long Island, NY, so I have no land (although Im moving soon, when I'll be able to have a huge garden, if I so decide). I caught the desire to start a garden recently, for the first time. So some of my questions may come off stupid for a little while :-D. I started with yellow pepper and cayenne pepper in containers, a cucumber and tomato each in hanging inverted planters, that you may have seen on tv, due to space limitations. I have a porch that has decent sun for 5-7 hours a day (as soon as it gets around that damn maple tree). I recently purchased a meyer lemon tree, about 3.5 feet tall, and maybe 3 years old I potted it yesterday in a plastic container 2 inches bigger then what it came in with good drainage, as I drilled many additional holes. I went with plastic a) its cheaper and b) its easier to move for my girl and I, which is needed in winter. Its potted in miracle grow citrus soil, I also mixed in additional perlite. I also set up a closet with lights. a 400 watt HPS grow light, and two 4 foot shop lights, with 2 bulbs each. 2 of the bulbs are for plants, with 2700k color temperature, and the other 2 have a temperature in the 4500 range. Due to the short sunlight of the porch (4-7 hours) I bring the plants in under the lights for a while once the sun goes down.

I've heard the plants should be brought in and out slowly to adapt to the change, but I have to say the temperature inside and outside of my home this season is nearly identical. Is it a bad idea to move the lemon into the grow closet? The plant appears healthy so far. I am worried my first watering was over done, can 1 overwatering cause problems like root rot? Should I be panicking yet? I have a moisture meter that shows the soil is wet. I drilled holes in the bottom, roughly the size of a pen, for better drainage. I also drilled tiny holes all the way around the pot, the size of a small bit, would these holes even serve any function, they are pretty small, but large in numbers, I figured it would help air reach the soil.

I'll try to get some pictures on line soon. Thanks!

2. clearlynotstefan

clearlynotstefan Member

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Citrus trees, including your Meyer Lemon, were originally native to Southeastern China, and grew as under story plants growing beneath taller native trees, and as such are low light plants. Citrus utilizes sunlight, water, CO2 and minerals to manufacture its food (sugars) in a process called photosynthesis. For citrus trees, the manufacturing of photosynthates (the trees food source) maximizes at 650 PAR, which is only about 1/3 of full sunlight. Therefore, any additional light above 650 PAR is of no direct benefit to the tree. Additional hours, extending the light period, will of course cause the tree to keep manufacturing more photosynthates. Therefore, your lighting power that you are providing is being over done. As to over watering. Remember, the amount of water applied to a citrus tree is not the culprit that causes problems, unless too little moisture is applied. What causes root damage, and possible death to a citrus tree is the lack of root zone oxygen, not the amount of water. If your tree is growing in a fast draining medium, with ample porosity, and provides a high level of aeration, then you do not need to worry about over watering the tree. I grow all of my containerized trees (over 100 varieties) in 4 parts CHC (coconut husk chips) and 1 part peat moss. With this CHC peat moss blend, I could water my trees 20 times a day with no problem. Over watering only occurs when the tree is growing is a medium with poor drainage, and poor air porosity. When a citrus tree's root zone drains poorly, or does not drain quickly, the water fill all the air pours, and displaces all or most of the soil oxygen. As a medium ages, and compacts the available pour spaces are reduced, and watering remains longer and longer in the soil, causing it to be anaerobic. Lastly, fertilize, your trees a minimum of once a month, twice a month is better, using a fertilizer that contains trace minerals. Citrus trees always absorb nutrients in the ratio of 5-1-3, meaning every time the tree takes up 5 parts nitrogen, the tree's root system will absorb 1 part phosphorous and 3 parts potassium, plus trace minerals. Therefore, it is to the tree advantage to purchase a fertilizer as close to the above ratio as possible. I currently use a 25-5-15 W/trace minerals. Get rid of your water meter, water meters will only cause you and your tree a lot of problems. Use instead you finger, or the weight of the container. The best to you and your tree. - Millet (1,306-)

Total and complete unrestricted free speech is essential.

4. clearlynotstefan

clearlynotstefan Member

Thanks Millet. I have some other trees growing under the light as well, peppers and such. I'm using miracle grow for citrus/cactus, and I mixed in some perlite, As well as drilling a bunch of holes in the container. Do you think I should be alright?

5. Millet

I don't know about your potting soil, without see it. As long as it drains rapidly. your tree should be fine. As times passes, all mediums will degrade, and compact, and the drainage will become slower and slower, especially with mediums that contain a lot of peat moss. Just keep a eye on the drainage and aeration. The best to your tree. - Millet (1,306-)

6. clearlynotstefan

clearlynotstefan Member

Alright, One more question about watering. Lets assume the pot its in is well drained, and 14 inches in diameter, with a depth of about 10 inches, a standard 14inch pot. How much water would you use to water. Just a ballpark number, so I know where to start, Ive no experience with it. Thanks!

7. Millet

No matter the size of a container, the watering of a citrus tree is always the same. First, and most important for citrus, is that the medium have excellent draining, and plenty of root zone oxygen by insuring that the medium has a high level of porosity. With the above conditions present, a citrus tree should be watered until approximately 15 to 20 percent of the water poured over the surface of the container drains out the bottom. When you water a citrus, water it well. - Millet (1,306-)