Identification: large white yellow-tinged shroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by condonb, Dec 13, 2011.

1. condonb

condonb Member

Found this shroom under pines near lactarius and boletus. Aussies abroad in Corsica without books; have vague memory of "yellow stainer" Would appreciate all help to identify

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It looks like the Sheep Polypore, Albatrellus ovinus, which occurs in both Europe and North America, according to rogersmushrooms.com.

3. condonb

condonb Member

Hi Vitog
    Thanks for that - have you eaten them at all - we're thinking of doing so.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've never tried them; they are too scarce around here to be worth checking out. They are supposed to be edible; but I suspect that they don't have much flavor, like most Polypores.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

My experience is that about 20% of people really like these, so they might be worth trying. Bugs like them a lot too, so check for bug-holes. Also, the old ones can get a little bitter, so i usually pass the big ones up for nice fresh ones.

6. condonb

condonb Member

Thanks for that. We're still in Corsica without books. Posted 3 more pics yesty for ID; decided wouldn't eat any of them except the agaricus which we're pretty sure are campestris. Think the orange trumpets really are jack'o'lanterns as could see some luminescence o'night. Where we collected them, there are stacks of wild pigs, and if they haven't eaten the boletus, they prob'ly aren't edible.