Is this yucca dead?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jill E Beenz, May 16, 2017.

1. Jill E Beenz

Jill E Beenz Member

As I mentioned in my umbrella tree post, I'm repotting plants at work and there are some I'm not familiar with. And I have no idea what care it's been given except the cleaning lady waters it approximately every Monday.
    Is this yucca dead? The best way I can describe the stalk is "crispy". There hasn't been any new growth from the top since November. It had a bit of a spider mite infestation around the same time. The new growth around the soil is roughly 2-4 months old
    My plan is to separate the new growth and move it to a smaller pot. Maybe I'll give the bigger parts a second chance? Not sure the best course of action.
    South facing window, little to no direct sun and blinds are closed in weekend.
    Any ideas are welcome!

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

See those splits at the bottom of the pot? I'm guessing this was root bound at some point in the past. This is likely Dracaena fragrans and not an actual Yucca sp. All that brown papery covered cane is dead, moribund, kaput, with not a chance for resurrection without a bite from a zombie. The little green bit at the bottom is a shoot from the cane and root stock that is trying valiantly to make a go of it. It apparently did for maybe a year or two, and then due to neglect it withered and almost died. That part could be salvaged if you are game. All the rest of it, and the old potting soil, should be tossed. You will probably note firmer roots, and maybe a firmer bit of cane attached to the youngish sprout. That part you should save and repot. It might even be grateful enough to send up another shoot or three.

By the way, the Dracaena deremensis and the Diffenbachia? both have seen better days. Actually what I called Diffenbachia is probably Aglaonema. Much harder to kill outright.