is it too late?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Barbara76710, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Barbara76710

Barbara76710 Member

This is my 2nd attempt at growing a hibiscus. The first one I planted outside. It died over the winter. This year I purchased one and decided to keep it in a container so I could bring it in whenever it froze outside. However, I guess I let it get too much sun. After blooming beautifully for several weeks it suddenly started dropping buds and leaves. What leaves were left curled and turned brown. It still has a few buds on it, but they haven't changed size in weeks. I took it out of the direct sunlight. It's now on a sunny porch. I keep watering it, but I'm not sure it's going to come back. How do I know it's too late to save it? If it's not too late, what can I do to help it along? Thanks for the help.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

One of the things that can happen to things in pots in sunny locations is cooked roots. It is possible that is what has happened. It may or may not rally. Give it time in the less sun prone area. I suspect your summer is hot like ours. Try putting the pot with the plant inside a bigger one about 2 or more inches too big and insulating the section in between with newspaper or wood shavings and put some mulch over the actual pot as well. Water it so it stays damp. This will help keep roots cool. You can also sink your pot into soil to act as insulator or some woodshavings, mulch even straw. This way you can still move it for frost prone nights.

Liz

3. Barbara76710

Barbara76710 Member

Thank you, Liz.

4. alabama

alabama Active Member

Did you use any bug spray? Don't use malathion or pyretherin on them. I have even had problems with sevin.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like you might have fried the plant, was it in a shadier position before you put it into full sun? It takes about 10 days to wean a plant into the direct sun so that it doesn't suffer.
    Also take note on hibiscus care, they need to be watered regularly, and don't like to dry out.

6. Barbara76710

Barbara76710 Member

Yep. I fried it. :-( I don't know that I'll try again. They are so pretty and I feel like such a killer. Maybe I'll try cactus! lol Or better yet - an artificial hibiscus. :)

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

8. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

In response to this quote I went to the American Hibiscus Society website and did some reading this morning. Your quote is the second similar quote on this board in the last week.

I have always grown tropical hibiscus in direct, or near direct sunlight. In our twenty plus years in south Florida I saw thousands of these plants planted in direct sunlight. Numerous growers grow them in pots for the trade in large fields in direct, or near direct, sun. You didn't specify if your hibiscus was of the tropical variety, but I can only assume it is tropical since you specified you are bringing it indoors to avoid cold damage. I found this quote on the AHS question and answer board:

Q. What causes my buds to drop before the bloom opens?
    A. Buds are very sensitive and if your plant is under stress from too much or too little water or fertilizer, thrips or other factors, the buds may fall. Also, some varieties (particularly doubles) are more prone to bud drop.

The AHS site recommends direct sunlight except for the hottest portions of the day when the plant should be afforded some shade. They also recommend on one of their boards using dilute fertilizer, but use it frequently. One article explains how various insects can cause the exact symptoms you are describing.

You may want to read their Q&A board to see if you can resolve your problem better:

http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/q.a.html

This link has information in addition to the link I posted earlier. Hope you can find a resolution to your problem.