How to prune leggy Jade

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Chester, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hiya:

I have a Jade tree that is looking a bit leggy. I don't know why as it is in a southern window, and I put it outside for the summer months. I think that it has just grown, and needs a prune. I was able to prune it well when it was younger, but it's gotten bigger and it isn't so obvious what the best cuts will be. It's gonna need a darn good trim (come spring I assume? question #1) and I hear that Jades respond well to cuts. Will it sprout even if I cut into 'old wood' where leaves are not longer growing? So I guess my questions are timing, how aggressive can I get, post-operative treatment if prune cuts are large (necessary or not?). I'd appreciate some advice...

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Personal experience with C. ovata has shown them to respond well to extreme pruning provided it is done at the beginning of its growing season and there has not been any other disturbance such as a recent change of environment or repotting. Basically, do one thing at a time and allow for recovery before moving on.

So, since you are like me in that you move your plants outdoors in the Spring, then give the plant some time to adapt. Once you notice the new growth coming on, then prune. Personally, I have new growth showing up on the trunk and "old" stems all the time. Given that, I would suspect the same of your plant should it be pruned back to the larger branches. However, I would probably take those cuttings and make some new plants, just in case. You never know.

It sounds like you know how to grow "Jades", so I would not worry to much. It will take a few years for the new growth to fill in. One thing is for certain, they do have a strong will to live.

Mark

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm getting ahead of myself to be thinking pruning now, but something has to encourage me through these long dark days. Pruning and repot time are something I really look forward to.