help!!!

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by crystalsgarden, May 3, 2009.

1. crystalsgarden

crystalsgarden Member

I recieved a pampas grass as a gift about 3 yrs ago. I have tried everything to get it to grow i only get about 5 to 10 little blades of grass out of it every year. I love it and think it is a beautiful plant, but am not having any luck growing it. I have planted it in well drained soil, fertilized and cut it back in the winter that was the first year. The following year it was still just as small so I changed up the fertilizer and when it came late fall cut it then burnt it back. This year it is even smaller. What can I do to possibly save it, it has great sentamental value.

2. bambooman

bambooman Member

I would dig it up and move it to another area, preferably full sun and I don't fertilize my grasses and they do just fine. Ornamental grasses are notorious for growing in terrible soil I know this sounds crazy but the worse the soil is the better they do. But they do like full sun. When I have fertilized them they don't do as well so I just quit fertilizing all together. I hope this helps you. Thanks for reading.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Here's my advice; I live in the native range of Pampas grasses. They grow in full sun in the most depleted soils available, and rich soil actually discourages them. If I were you, I'd move it to the sunniest location in the garden and ignore it aside from watering about once a week or so.