Help with my ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by susansheila, Oct 21, 2009.

1. susansheila

susansheila Member

I have a ponytail with 4 bulbs in it. It has acquired mealy bugs. One of the bulbs appears to be dead. The leaves are wilted and hanging over. I have bought a 3 in 1 fungicide and sprayed the plant. Should I remove the bulb or can I cut all the leaves off a couple of inches from the bulb? If I cut all the leaves down will it grow back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

mealy bugs are bugs, not fungus. best to treat with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol and touch to the bugs to kill them. then use freshly dipped swabs to wipe both sides of all leaves - focusing on the area where they come out of the bulb. repeat treatment in 10-14 and continue on that schedule until no more bugs are visible (eggs aren't visible to the eye and juveniles are very, very tiny).

remove the bulb if it feel mushy when gently squeezed or if it feels empty inside.

3. susansheila

susansheila Member

Thanks Joclyn for your reply.

The bulb does not feel squishy anywhere. The bottom leaves are fine. It's just from the top where the new growth is and working it's way down. All other bulbs and leaves are fine. So can I cut the leaves off about an inch from the bulb?

4. joclyn

any leaves that are dead you can certainly trim off.

once the mealy bugs are gone and it's had some time to recuperate from the damage, all should be fine - they're pretty hardy.

5. susansheila

susansheila Member

Thank you for your help!

6. joclyn

you're quite welcome :)

7. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes indeedy,
    They are tough.
    I have never had an invasion on my old gal but she always loses a few leaves at the bottom every year as tho an annual shedding.
    She has always done this and her trunk grows longer in this way.
    She's a single tho as I've said else where, she has a bump on her stem and seems pregnant where she may have a sprout about half way up her 4' stem.
    So, I'd suggest that you pull away rather than cut those bottom leaves whether dead or not so that there are fewer nooks and crannies for the bugs to snuggle into, rather than cut and leave ends there. If you pull the leaf sideways close to where it is attached, yes I know that's cramped for space, but that sort of motion ought to do it.

Try a strong spray in the shower if you can or outside and wash away some of the surface soil to clean that up too, of possible eggs, maybe even take it out of the pot & check the roots especially where they connect to the base of the plant.

Then when all is dry do the swabbing thing for any still left.

Once done, check again periodically.
    Check any plants that were near as they may have been the source, or affected.
    Wipe down whereit was standing, widow sill etc.

They really are tough.
    Mine grew to 4' from a wee seedling in a 4" pot.
    Once had a bit of virus in the tip from too much wet outside one summer/fall but we managed!

D