Help something is eating my Pine and Juniper Trees

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by 2dfarms, Jan 25, 2015.

1. 2dfarms

2dfarms New Member

Please help!
    Something is eating my pine trees and Juniper trees! Major bark damage, mostly on the underside of limbs. Some are stripped bare others are eaten on the underside of the limbs. Thought it could be Wood Rat ( pack rat ) but limbs are too large. Porcupine ? I don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated !

2. beave1098

beave1098 New Member

I am pretty sure that if you spray it with Neem Oil - nothing will eat it. I have lots of Neem Oil - if u r interested.

3. 2dfarms

2dfarms New Member

I have way too many trees to put anything on them. I just need to figure out WHAT animal is eating them.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Photos of damage?

5. 2dfarms

2dfarms New Member

Hope I did it right, sorry if I didn't. I am just a lady trying to figure out what is going on to the trees on my farm. Definitely not a computer wonder.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

8. 2dfarms

2dfarms New Member

I think I may have porcupines and wood rats ( pack rats). I have tried my hardest to see/catch them in a live trap, but no luck! I have walked the property and tried to find his den/home, no luck. I heard him last night but sound carries and I still couldn't find him! I am beginning to think I am losing my mind!!! My main fear is I have a 4 story tall ponderosa pine that he has been snacking on and it is right next to my barn, which I am living on top of right now. It is beautiful and I want to save it, but not at the cost of my or my dogs lives!!

9. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member