Hedges: help planting cedar hedges next to retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by amnash, May 9, 2015.

1. amnash

amnash New Member

I've bought 20 cedar hedges to plant along my property line that is a 12"thick retaining Wall. but I'm second guessing the root system damaging the wall. The trench is 12" wide with one side of the trench actually being the retaining Wall. I only want these to be about 6 feet tall max. Once I trim the top will the root system not grow anymore? What do you think? Don't want to loose $350 tearing the trees up and cost of a new retaining Wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    these grow pretty fast (a foot a year at the coast) and quite wide - our neighbor put some in at the coast - and they are at least 2 feet wide

ie - the width will infringe on your nice looking pathway there

what direction is your pathway - does it run north-south or east west? These like sunshine - and the shady side will always be a bit more sparse

(ps - what type of landscape pavers did you use for your path - it looks nice)

3. amnash

amnash New Member

Well I plan on trimming them back to keep them small but my main concern is how strong the roots are of these plants damaging the retaining Wall. .. the path is made of poured concrete using a moulding thanks

4. amnash

amnash New Member

I'm going to plant them... been researching and asking around and I think it will be ok

"Will my cedars uproot or affect surrounding sidewalks, patios, etc?*
    Cedar tree roots do not have the typical strength of the roots found in large trees. Therefore, their roots will not cause damage to anything at or below the surface. Cedar tree roots are usually shallow and will grow around external objects they meet.*"

http://thecedarguy.com/m/faq.php