help me!!!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by cactus beginner, May 7, 2017.

1. cactus beginner

cactus beginner New Member

its been a while since cut off the cactus pups from the mother plant ( maybe a week from now ). the wounds has no signs of healing. the cactus wounds developed a pinkish red color overtime, as if it was bleeding, i dont know what this means, is it rot? or is it normal? i need your help. what should i do with it?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I wonder why there are wounds on the mother plant. The pups on my Echinopsis cacti practically fall off the mother plant and leave no wounds. As far as I know, most cactus pups are relatively easy to pull off and don't require cutting.

3. cactus beginner

i mean i plucked them out, the pups seems to be quite attached and left a circular wound to where it was before. the cactus pups were densely close to each other.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Red wounds sounds bad, but what kind of cactus is it? Pictures?

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Mandarin knows way more about succulents than I do, but I have seen red sap on succulents where there was some sort of cut. I don't know the answer, but suspect that for you in the Philippines as for me in Florida, the humidity is the culprit. Increase air circulation so the wound can callus or grow a sort of dry scar. If you can give it brighter light that actually will help air flow, too. For me, the red sap was only temporary and not a sign of a systemic problem.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. cactus beginner

IMG_20170509_112916.jpg IMG_20170509_112929.jpg IMG_20170509_112936.jpg
    by the way help me identify this species

Attached Files:

7. mandarin

Yes, I have a vague memory of seeing sap turn red, but I don't think it was a cactus but some other succulent. That is why I would like to know what kind of plant it is.

8. mandarin

Some kind of Mammillaria.
    This looks like a type of discolouration I have seen before on a few cacti, and it has been harmless. It is still possible that it is a fungal infection, but they usually do not start at several points at the same time, and if it is it is too late for that plant anyway.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  9. cactus beginner

i tried this, i left the cactus outside for air circulation and sunlight for a couple of days, the red pigment seems to vanish slowly