Identification: Help Identifying these 3 Cactus And How to care for them

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Geekmob, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Geekmob

Geekmob New Member

I need help on identifying these 3 different cacti (cactus) that I just bought and I believe they are indoor cactus since they were in a private store. I would like to know how to nurture them, what they need, how much and how many times. What’s good and what’s bad. Do they need soil? It came on hard rocks like you see in pictures. If soil needed then how do I move cactus without damaging them. What types of water, what sunlight, what air, any help on how to just learn from them and be there for they’re every need. How much do they last? Well that’s all, I need to know about everything from the cactus

Thank you for helping

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

First photo, plant in center: probably a Notocactus. It is deprived of light, the top should not look like that.
    Second picture, the righmost, fuzzy plant: one of several that I have never learned how to tell apart (I don't grow columnar cacti): Cephalocereus senilis, Oreocereus trollii or celsianus, or possibly an Espostoa.
    Third: Mammillaria elongata.

They have certainly been grown indoors so far. Yes, they do need soil, but what do you mean with "hard rocks"? Are the stones glued together?

Soil and water needs a long answer, and it depends a lot on your local climate. There must be nearly as many soil recipes as growers, but a well-drained soil with low organic content is a good starting point. Here are two pages (with links) with some information.
    Making Your Own Cactus Soil On-line Guide to the positive identification of Members of the Cactus Family
    British Cactus & Succulent Society - Cultivation

Personally I almost exclusively grow my cacti in a special type of cat litter, and add nutrients to the water instead of the growing medium. In summer, the rule-of-thumb is "water when dry". In winter, most growers need to let the cacti rest (otherwise they will look like that first plant), and they should not be watered during this period.
    Sunlight: as much as possible. Air: good ventilation is a must, especially in hot weather. With proper care most cacti can live for decades (in some cases centuries).

Geekmob likes this.
  3. Geekmob

Geekmob New Member

Hello and thank you for answering mandarin. Yes the cacti came like seen in the photo with rocks glued together and I am in a tropical climate. Thank you very much for your advice, I will definitely start giving them their proper care.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The glued rocks must be removed. I have never tried to do that myself (I have seen them, never owned one), so I don't know how difficult it is.