Help Identifying Garlic Disease please

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Laura Luris, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

Our garlic was fine when harvested, other than the skins seemed thin. Taste and texture were excellent! Now the bulbs have started drying out and cloves are forming fuzzy white patches and rot at the base. We suspect Fusarium Rot, from what we have googled. Can anyone confirm our diagnosis by these pics? So disappointing!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

chimera likes this.
  3. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

Thank you for your reply. All signs certainly do seem to point to Fusarium, particularly since it appears to be the only infection that might not display symptoms until after the garlic is in storage. However, mine do not have the pinkish cast at all. If anything they start to get brown on the outside. Our cloves are a good size, so we have been cutting out the damage and using the blemish free areas. As far as I've read, they should still be safe to consume. (I hope!) Would you know if there is anywhere at UBC that I could bring some of the infected cloves to be analyzed?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The symptoms also suggest White Rot (Sclerotica cepivorum); but I hope that's not what it is because that disease is far worse.

5. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

All I've read about White Rot says it is visible prior to harvest, though. And mine showed no symptoms until after harvest. That's what make me think it's Fusarium. I'm wondering if I could have it tested somewhere?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

8. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

I did send a sample of my infected garlic to the Plant Health Lab, and have received their rely. They have confirmed my fears! Here is their diagnosis:

Fusarium sp. (not F. culmorum) was observed on all eight cloves following incubation and microscopic examination. Low level of Embellisia allii was also observed in the sample. No other plant disease causing fungus was observed in this sample.

I’m now concerned about my current crop of garlic, which will most likely become infected as well. Since the infection did not show up until well after harvest, I am thinking I might be able to peel and freeze all of my garlic, thus stalling the infection’s advance. And then of course, I must not plant garlic or any alliums in that same location for at least 4 years!

Thanks for the suggestion to contact the Plant Health Lab.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  9. Daniel Mosquin

And thank you very much for the follow-up. Too bad about the Fusarium, but at least you know what you have to deal with.