Identification: Help Identify...Mold? Fungus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by JasonT Nova Scotia, Dec 28, 2015.

1. JasonT Nova Scotia

JasonT Nova Scotia New Member

I need some help identifying this mold/fungus...
    We had a very bad musty smell coming from inside our walls. After removing some drywall I found no sign of water leaks but saw some dark staining on one small section of the sill plate (2x4). There were a few clumps of hard black charcoal-like material. Some was attached to the wood and some was loose. It has a repulsive musty smell and appears to be the source. It almost looks like dried up rodent feces but I don't see any other evidence of a rodent.
    Is this some kind of mold or fungus?
    I would appreciate any insight..

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It looks more like feces than fungus, but it would be helpful to have a closeup photo of the material in situ.

3. JasonT Nova Scotia

If it is feces, then could it have gotten mouldy and produced the smell. It is certainly older. Here is a pic of the wood in yhe wall where it was found. It seems to be mouldy.
    Thank you for the comments!

Attached Files:

4. JasonT Nova Scotia

By the way. I sent a sample off to pinchin microbiology lab for mould analysis and identification. We will get an id in a few weeks.
    In the meantime i started cutting more drywall and cleaning up. I hope i am not stirring up too much mould.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I can't say what it is, but it reminds me of a black jelly fungus Exidia glandulosa or Exidia plana.