First frog from our frog pond

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by bertoli55, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    I'm really happy, our tadpoles are happily turning into frogs and surviving our 37C++ heat.
    This one spent the day on a clivia plant under a big tree.
    It is a Litoria moorei commonly known as a motorbike frog -our neighbours are going to love us as it was named for its distinctive sound :)
    ciao

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Very cute! And well-fed too. How many of these do you predict you'll have...and just how loud are they...?

3. bertoli55

They are cute. Fortunately they're not too loud -they sound a bit like a motorbike changing gear :) We have about 30 tadpoles which are in various stages, I'm not sure what the survival rate is. The garden is pretty dense, lots of ferns, shrubs, trees, groundcover etc so the frogs should be safe from the many birds that visit.
    i haven't looked after tadpoles since i was a little kid and i'm having fun :)

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

With fondness I remember the little frogs that used to appear in the spring and summer in the back yard of my childhood home in NY. Always a happy surprise to find one of them under a leaf. ---Your garden sounds like a great frog haven, and I applaud your advocacy.

Keep us posted on hatchings. Photos too!

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

6. bertoli55

That haiku is beautiful -I haven't read it for years. I've saved it so I don't lose it. Thanks

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Nice frog and haiku it seems the translation is as open to opinion as what identification of some plants can be.
    We get a few of the (Litoria caerulea) Australian Green Tree Frogs here.
    There's also 1 I've yet to find hiding in a small pond. Don't hear it until night when it's pops are most noticeable. Not sure what type it may be, but I'm glad that I have far more frogs than the unwanted Cane Toad which is highly abundant here.

Attached Files:

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

My son and some helpers are slowly getting my bottom jungle garden under control. Some of it has been a bit drastic. (blackberries) but underneath it the pond has re emerged. Ferns are looking fine but I hear no frogs or see tadpoles. Was probably too dark. Decision has been made to clean it out re establish the bog garden at the out let and see what happens. Used to have a lot of frogs once. Love the sound of the motor bike frog. Wonder if it is 4 or 2 stroke. Just a query if we put a reticulation pump (think that's the right word) to create a water fall over the bank from an old urn I have would that discourage frogs from using it? We are using rain water to refill the pond as we are on restrictions as well.

Liz

9. bertoli55

Hi
    Chungi your frogs are great. I love green tree frogs. I don't think that we get the same ones here as it is too dry. I'm hoping that our frogs will be around for a while. Luckily for us cane toads haven't made it to Perth yet, though they are in the Kimberley.

Liz these links might be useful. You shouldn't have problems with your pump as long as there is some still water for the frogs to lay eggs. Tadpoles seem to prefer still water -they all hide under rocks when I top up the water.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_conservation/wildlife/caring_for_wildlife/frog_ponds/
    http://www.sgaonline.org.au/info_frogs.html
    http://frogs.org.au/
    ciao bertoli

10. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

What cute frogs you have shown.
    Over the years we have tried to encourage frogs ( British frog, Rana Temporaria) to the garden... the idea being that we will no longer need to use slug pellets. It does seem to be working. The "pond" is a hole left after a tree stump was dug out, it fills with water naturally. For the past 3 years I have fed the tadpoles daily with Koi fish food!Spring 2008 we had a bumper "crop".

Attached Files:

11. bertoli55

Hi Luddite
    How good having such a great natural pond with so many happy frogs. I hope that I can manage to have them living here for a while. I've also been feeding ours with goldfish food as well as boiled lettuce leaves. They have eaten the mosquito larvae and hopefully will soon start on the slugs.
    bertoli

12. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

From what I know, having frogs in your yard means you have managed to create a well balanced ecosystem. Anything goes wrong the frogs are the first to go. So well done for giving these little guys a chance!

13. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thanks for the motivation to get out there and find my popping frog... and here it is
    Limnodynastes peroni 'Striped Marsh Frog', it sleeps at day and at night makes a popping noise which is aptly described as a 'Toc' or 'Poc' sound on the site 'Frogs in Australia'.

Attached Files:

14. bertoli55

Well done, now that looks like a real frog :) -not as tiny as the others.