English laurel with major dieback help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by HigherGroundJess, Jan 29, 2018.

1. HigherGroundJess

HigherGroundJess Member

in this English laurel hedge there is a multi-stemmed section that has died. The branches have fungus growing on them where the plant is dying.
    I noticed that one branch in the dead cluster had a big scar where a previous branch had ripped off. Wondering if some earlier snow /wind/ breakage damage created an opening for rot?
    Is the whole hedge at risk?
    Is there a fungal problem ? Or something else
    Thanks for sharing

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Just this past week, I have heard from 4 experienced garden friends bemoaning the appearance of serious fungal diseases on fruit and ornamental trees and shrubs. Suspects are species of verticillium, fusarium and phytophthora - all soil-borne fungi. Excessive rainfall and relatively warm temperatures are taking the blame for fostering these diseases here on the SW coast of BC.

I couldn't say what might be the specific cause of fungal problems on your laurel hedge, nor a solution; only the observation that these fungi can spread to other plants. Even though spores could well remain after the tree or shrub is dead, I would be tempted to 'cut' my losses by taking diseased plants out as soon as I could.