Devil's Backbone?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by CelestiHel, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CelestiHel

CelestiHel Member

I have a plant that I have always been told was a devil's backbone, but I know very little about it and am wondering if someone can point me a good direction to not only ID this plant, but care for it. As it is now about 10 feet tall and extremely leggy, I'd like to know how to cut it back without killing it, and get rid of parts that have long since died off but have new bits growing out of it. Any websites with pictures of it, or other plants it could be would be very helpful. Thanks a lot!

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

HI there .. I have attached a pic of my Devils Backbone . the smaller one is a variegated one . the taller one is a regular one .. i have them both in the same lil pot ..
    if u say it is about 10 feet tall then i would experiment with cutting it back and rooting .. the cuttin back is easy .. just cut it below one of the nodes (were it kinks) the roots should come out of the nodes .. u can try rooting one piece in water and one with a rooting hormone (either powder or gel) .and stick it in dirt .. and mist it .. that helps with gettin water to the plant till it gets roots ..
    u can try it wiht little pieces at first then decide if u want to cut back bigger chunks .. also if u root it in water .. dont throw out the water after it is rooted .. just keep adding to it .. i find tha plants dont root to well in fresh water .. my rooting glas that i have is really green from algea from plant food and sunlight .. trust me the plants like it ..lol.. and aslo u might want to try putting it in a brighter spot usually when plants get leggy that means they r not gettin enough sunlight ..
    goodluck with the plant ..

Marn

Attached Files:

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

The botanical name for the plant is Pedilanthus tithymaloides. A google search should provide you with tons of info.

4. Mochapolo

Mochapolo Member

Pedilanthus tithymaloides.

I have several. I got my first one from a neighbor's bush. They are very hardy. Cut a stem any length, still it in water til it roots, then put it in the ground. We have a large family with endless little projects, so some are apt to be forgotten. My Devil's Backbone sat in a vase after rooting without water for ages. That one is now a large bush about 4 feet tall, and absolutely beautiful.

I heard the sap is good for removing warts.

5. caveman6

caveman6 Member

I live in Florida and I have Devil backbone growing on the west side of my house. Over the past 7 years I have tried growing them in pots, on the porch, and the east side of my house but they do best on the west side and seem to love the afternoon sun the most. The ones I planted in the ground I really don't water them they just get the rain water and the morning dew. Every spring I go out and cut them back (Wear gloves because the sap is hard to get off your hands. The ones I cut off I take and put in pots on the porch and let them grow and give them to friends. When I plant them in pots I only water them once a week. The ones out side in the ground get about 4 to 10 feet tall but they look better and fuller if you keep them cut down to about 4 feet. They really don't take that much care just great to look at.

6. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Devil's backbone can thrive partial shade or bright indirect light. Mine is a variegated one. It occasionally bears red flowers! Yay! Can't wait for it to bloom!