Cycleman care - need help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by parkhurstohana, Jan 3, 2005.

1. parkhurstohana

parkhurstohana Member

Hi all! My cycleman is dying. I've had it about seven days and it is an inside plant (obviously, since I live in the snow region).

The leaves are turning yellow one by one and becoming limp and soft. This seems like an overwatering problem but I've only watered it once, when it was very, very dry.

I've picked the dead leaves and flowers off of it and there are new leaf and flower buds coming up (but the mature leaves are still turning yellow). It started with a single leaf turning yellow which I guess could be a part of the normal plant cycle but the next day there were two and now there are about seven, with more each day. If it keeps going at this rate the plant will be dead within a week.

I had a cycleman last year that I loved but it died - and before it died the same thing happened. What am I doing wrong?? Is there something specific to cyclemans that I am not aware of? What does a cycleman need to survive and thrive? Both of these have been gifts (from two different greenhouses) and I just cannot stand to see another one bite the dust. My other plants are happy and green.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

2. parkhurstohana

parkhurstohana Member

Can anyone please help with this?

I moved it to a sunnier location and I believe the yellowing leaves have slowed down a bit but it is still wilting. I am afraid to water it again... would appreciate any help that someone could offer about caring for cyclemans!

Thanks!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I thought I posted an answer, maybe not. It shouldn't be allowed to get "very dry", I think that is your problem. Keep it cool and moist, they don't like ordinary house conditions. Internet should have plenty of information on how to manage this very commonly sold item after taking it home. Try searching "indoor cyclamen", "cyclamen care" and so forth.

4. Cylamen are rather particular plants for the indoors mainly because they enjoy temperatures between 45-55 degrees farenheit; however, they can endure or rather tolerate temperatures at around 60 to 70 degrees given that this is only for a few days and not consistent. If the temperature reaches above 70 degrees, which is comfortable for us and not for the plant, the plant will go into dormancy. Cylcamen bloom in the cooler months of fall and winter and go dormant in the summer when temperatures are above 70 degrees. When cooler temperatures taper off in late spring and leaves begin to yellow, it would be best to let the plant dry out and place in a cool area for storage. Usually the dormant period is for two months and one should see leaves sprouting once again in the fall at which time you should give the plant a good soaking. It is also important to know that the cylcamen leaves and flowers come from a tuber and therefore the cylcamen does have particular watering needs. It is best to water from the bottom and let the plant soak up the water for a max of 20- 30 minutes; however, one can water from the top but one has to make sure that water does not get on the tuber as this could cause rot (do not allow the plant to sit in water for more than a half an hour). Repotting the plant is not necessary until after the plant comes out of dormancy and in such a case the plant should be planted in a pot that is one inch more in diameter due to the fact that cyclamen bloom well somewhat pot bound. If these conditions cannot be met due to its complexity and the need for comfort in the range of temperature, it is reccommended that you raise a plant more suitable for indoor conditions such as an african violet perhaps.

5. sunnychas

sunnychas Member

I have given up on Cyclamen. They are beautiful plants, but I find that they are impossible. I've tried repotting, little water, lots of water, etc...with no luck. I had one when I was in my apt and one in my house, so lighting was not an issue. Don't feel bad - just give up and move on - I have great luck with African Violets!