Curry plant looking sorry

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jubilee, Sep 21, 2017.

1. jubilee

jubilee New Member

Hi all, I live in Melbourne, AUS and have a 2 year old curry plant in a medium sized pot. I know it's not the best growing conditions in Melbourne, but I looked after the plant very carefully last year and it did quite well. Now it's looking more established, but the leaves are turning brown even though we're heading into summer. It survived two winters quite well.
    I was away for 3 week and the hubby says he watered it every other day. What can I do?
    Thanks

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Is it indoors or outside? Can you reply with photos?

3. jubilee

jubilee New Member

Thank you for the response. It's outdoors in summer but over winter I used to take it in to avoid frost.
    I've attached some photos.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's hard to determine if it was over-watered or under-watered. Maybe lift it out of the pot to see if the roots look ok (not mushy). If it dried out, it should recover when it gets back to your previous schedule (well, the brown leaflets will still be brown, but new leaves should be ok). If it seems like it was over-watered, then you will have to give it less water for a while. I would keep it in a shadier spot until it gets new leaves that look ok. That might mean giving it less water. Did you take it out into the sun right after it had been indoors? That could have been stressful for it.

It looks like the botanical name for this is Murraya koenigii.

5. jubilee

jubilee New Member

Thank you again. Its been under the veranda outdoors. Not in the hot sun. I'll try your suggestions. I'm not an expert gardner.. far from it so thanks for the tips