British Columbia: Crocosmia sprouting too early

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by gfritsch1024, Apr 3, 2015.

1. gfritsch1024

gfritsch1024 New Member

Due to the mild weather in Vancouver, my Crocosmia korms, which have been winterizing in containers kept in a dry, covered part of the deck have been sprouting leaves and are already 6 inches tall. I have not watered them all winter.

I am thinking that I should have kept the containers in total darkness over the winter, to help prevent this.

I am concerned that it is far too early for them to sprout leaves, and that their ability to bloom later in the season will now be compromised. What would be the best thing to do? Should I cut down the leaves and hope for new growth? Or cover them up and keep them in darkness till May or June? Some guidance and help will be appreciated. The plants are all one to two years old and have bloomed once last summer.

Thanks,

Gordon

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Everything is early this year, and not only on the coast. Here, a little farther inland, all my perennials are 3-4 weeks ahead, too. I don't think anything could or should be done about it.

I don't consider cutting down the leaves or keeping your Crocosmias in darkness a good idea. But, if you have 2 of them to experiment with, cut the leaves on one and cover up and keep in darkness till May or June another one, to see how it works for yourself. It could be an interesting experiment.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    mine that stay in the garden year-round in Greater Van are approx 8 inch tall leaves now - two blades (no flower bud)

QUESTION - why do you take yours out of the ground in North Van?

the type I have are the basic spreading (borderline weed) red-orange color flower.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, they survive winter in the ground even in my, much harsher than in Vancouver, climate.

5. gfritsch1024

gfritsch1024 New Member

Hi Georgia Straight,

The plants are not in the ground - they are in large containers on a deck. In winter, I move the containers to a darker covered part of the deck so that the pots don't get saturated with rain. In the spring, I take them out.

My instinct tells me to not do anything. Hope they'll bloom.

Gordon

6. Jayjones

Jayjones Member

Everything seems late after this long winter, but should my crocosmia --bulbs planted last yr.--be emerging by now? Not seeing any sign of life.

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    this is interesting to see my input from Apr 6th last year ---- I would say that my weed (naturalized?) red crocosmia in Greater Vanc are approx 5 inches tall now

two sword like leaves close together, very fine flesh (ie not tough leathery leaves like an iris)

i never dig them up, feed them or water them.
    they are a weed in our garden

with respect - they are lovely and I think they are great - esp with our wetter winter /// hot dry summer climate and our awareness of water conservation and use of chemicals in gardens etc

i think if someone could invent a white or an apple blossom pink one ---- i'd be very happy!

just not a fan of the hot orange red color of the flowers