Creeping buttercup

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Roger Hawkes, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Roger Hawkes

Roger Hawkes Active Member

Is there safe suggestions as to getting rid of creeping buttercup .

I have dug up some parent plants leaving holes in the lawn .

I am considering a Borax solution , thought of Vinegar and have been advised to use Weeds Begone .

I have also started to use a rear bagger lawnmower . It occured to me I have been spreading the plant around by mowing the grass and weed .

What can be used safely on the lawn as we have 2 cats ?

Regards .

Roger

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

EcoSense has an iron based spray that you can get at any store that sells garden supplies. The industrial name is Fiesta. Use it when it is dry. It takes two or more applications....but,
    this is only a control measure not total eradication. The leaves will brown and die back so that the lawn can try and overtake the area.

Buttercups are an indicator of ground water movement, pooling areas, poor drainange....(and also nitrogen deficiency.) They are pulling nitrogen from the air into the area that they are growing.

attempt to fix the problem.....without actually looking at your site, you could perhaps hand aerate and
    fill the holes with sand.

You could also try growing your lawn longer and stronger and choke out some of them.

Check your pH. You can get a pack of litmus paper at the H.D. in the hot tub aisle.
    If the pH is off, when you fertilize the chemical reaction required doesn't happen and
    the fertilizer will just sit there doing nothing.

If you want non-toxic you'll have to experiment a bit to see what will work. None of the new stuff out there eradicates without killing the grass like Killex (2,4-d Mecoprop and Dicamba) Same as weed 'n feed

If some-one uses this stuff (if your city allows it), keep it away from Clematis. Creeping Buttercup and Clematis are related. (Ranunculus family)

EcoSense is Weed B Gone

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  3. Roger Hawkes

Thanks ever so much for your suggestions .

The lawn pretty much match's your description . It looks like it should be completely overhauled .

I'll tackle the problem with weed be gone .

Thanks again .
    Roger

4. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

Wet the ground or wait for a rain.

Get out and pic up a Hori-Hori knife and a garden/potato fork

You hands will get filthy but it washes off.

Enjoy digging.

5. Roger Hawkes

WOW , that is quite the tool .I'm afraid if I got down on my knees I may never get up .

I have thought about digging and replanting areas of the lawn . I have found removing areas of the plant have left large divits in the lawn . Bare spots now have the weed reemerging .

Just a matter of one more thing to add to the list .

Thanks for the tool suggestion .

Roger

6. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Just a thought on kneeling in the garden. I have the same problem and used to stick a garden fork on either side of me to lever myself up (strange the things we share on this site) but then discovered a really useful help. It is possible to buy a "bench" which is about 2 foot long and is at a great sitting height which, when you flip it over, becomes a kneeler with what were the "legs" of the bench being used as supports to lever yourself up by. Hope this makes sense. I got mine at Home Hardware in Sechelt but I am sure other places have them. Your area is probably to large to go over on hands and knees but it might be useful elsewhere.

I too have the dreaded buttercups and just keep hauling them out. They are easier to remove when the soil is slightly damp I have found. I have also found that a good soaking with pickling strength vinegar kills off most weeds but it is, ofcourse, none selective.

Margaret

7. Roger Hawkes

Margaret ,nice suggestion . There is a Home Hardware on the island .I'll see what they have .I also have lots of scraps of wood which I could possibly make a bench from .
    Roger