container gardening.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by sandpebbles, Apr 14, 2009.

1. JanR

JanR Active Member

That Tennessee Cheese Sweet Pepper looks very interesting. It will be interesting to hear what it tastes like. I am growing all sorts of peppers from the seeds you sent me. Some have been planted in the garden already and some are still waiting to go into pots in the greenhouse. Do you have any idea how far apart plants peppers have to be not to cross pollinate?

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I think it would be a good measure for instance, to keep the hot peppers at the back of the house, and the sweet ones at the front - just to give you an idea of how far apart I mean. I wouldn't keep them near each other at all - at least 30 feet apart. I have had problems otherwise, and things that were supposed to be hot - weren't very, and things that were supposed to be sweet, were now hot!

: O

So glad you are enjoying the pepper seeds, Jan. I just love them - so easy, even indoors. They're very pretty and ornamental too. One of my all time favorite things to grow.

: )

3. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

those plants look fantastic hollyberry. i'm excited for you. wow, they're budding fast. are those plants kept outdoors? amazing!!! good job. :)

4. The Hollyberry Lady

As a matter of fact, all of my peppers are inside right now! I will put most of them out though, shortly. I enjoy growing them inside too, because you can keep the sweet and hot varieties together, as there are no pollinators around to mix things up!

I love growing peppers in the garden as well though, so I am looking forward to getting them out soon. Last year, I grew tons of hot pepper varieties, and two amazing sweet red bell pepper plants also. Peppers are just awesome.

Well, I am glad to have some fruits for these varieties, because this means seeds are available! I have to dry them for a week or so, and then they will be ready for sowing. You can even grow them next year, or indoors as well, like me.

Here is my long red cayenne plant as well, to go with my purple variety. It is also indoors right now. The pic was taken a few minutes ago, at night, so it's kind of dark, but you get the idea! The fruits are not red yet, but soon.

Long red cayenne is one of my most favorites...

Attached Files:

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is another shot of my purple cayenne peppers! Oh boy, I can't wait to taste them.

Not before I save some of the seeds though, of course.

=)

Attached Files:

6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I can't wait to see your pepper seedlings explode with my Texas heat... any idea how many months till they produce, or will i have to wait till next year?

7. The Hollyberry Lady

They'll produce for ya this year - no worries. You'll have a late harvest in 3 months

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

That's good news, yumm. The one in my hydroponics system seems to be doing the best as it's got the 2nd set of leaves already, but should I protect the outsiders from winter this year?

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Larger peppers would take more like 4 months before you'd harvest, but smaller hot pepper types can put on a crop super fast, even when grown from seed.

Which outsiders are you referring to? Subjecting tender plants like peppers to winter elements, both hot or sweet, would be bad news!

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's a better daytime shot of my 'Long Red Cayenne' hot peppers. I am so anxious for them to ripen! I will be harvesting these babies for the next 4 months! Yippeeeeeeee.

They are my most favorite hot pepper of all...

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Btw Sandpebbles - I will send you some of my red cayenne seeds, along with the purple cayenne, and tennessee cheese as well.

I am just waiting for some to turn red, but didn't forget ya...

12. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

By 'outsiders' I meant the plants outside. I can always grow some new plants if these die during winter.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Exactly!

With peppers especially, they're just too easy to start more plants from seed, so I never worry about carrying them over in winter.

14. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

thanks hollyberry, i appreciate the thought. your red cayenne pepper is stunning as well. looks yummy. :) i think you've got something there. i hadn't thought of the no pollinator factor of indoor gardening as a positive. brilliant really. have you ever transplanted a pepper plant with developing fruit on it? would it stunt the plant's ability to fruit for the season.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yup, I've done it, but it does interrupt the growing and ripening process, so it's certainly not recommended. However, if you must, go ahead - but keep the plant in full shade for at least two days, if not three!

You do run the risk of losing the pepper and all the new blossoms, but don't worry, because the plant will rebloom again soon, and you may even get more peppers than the first time around!

The ultimate and most opportune time to do any kind transplant outdoors, for any kind plant, is during cloudy, overcast, and most especially rainy, weather.

Good luck.

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Don't transplant during rainy weather if you've got clay soil though. :P

Hey HB, I've been having difficulties moving some peppers into the direct sun. The leaves start withering, but I move them back into the shade right away and they spring back. I've already got them outside, any suggestions?

17. The Hollyberry Lady

* Well, peppers shouldn't really be in clay soil to begin with - should be well draining.

Yes, you need to 'harden off' the pepper plants, ShearMe. It is too much, all at once. Put them in the sun tomorrow until just before they start to wilt. Take note of the time. If it's an hour before they wilt, then put them in the sun for the next few days for 1 hour, then move them back into the shade.

After a few days have passed, and you see they're handling it, try them for 1 and 1/2 hours or two hours for a couple of days....and so on and so on until they can handle full sun. Just increase the sun by an hour or two every couple of days. Let the plants be the judge of how much they can handle - they will tell you. Soon you'll have built them up to full sun, all day long.

If they are in tiny containers however, the roots are burning and this is the reason they can't handle too much sun because the roots are cooking!

If this is not the case, then try the 'hardening off' process. Peppers can usually handle lots of sun and love it, so get them used to it as soon as possible. You must be consistent when hardening plants off - don't skip days.

Also worth noting: Peppers perform well in cool weather, and can sometimes require afternoon shading in exceptionally hot climates. In my neck of the woods though, peppers love all day sunshine.

18. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

i second hollyberry. i went through that overwatering/ rehydrating stage with some of my pepper plants. often times the temp has been > 95- 105 degrees here. the blessing is that we're had an overabundance of rain hence, no water restrictions this year. now my pepper plants appear to enjoy their daily sunbath, espiecally my tropicals. i just water them biweekly. hey holly, the green lacewings has been a big help overall. however to transplant, i may have to isolate and resort to chemicals for a few of my plants ( delicate balance, as i intended to maintain the beneficials for the majority of my plants). i have an attached sunroom which comes with a "no insect allowed clause" that would be great for transplanting. :). no worries though. the pine trees (mite heaven) may have scored one but so did i. not bad for a first growing season. next year, the beneficials will be included in my prep. i'll let you know how the transplanting goes. thanks again hollyberry. always brilliant. :)

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh that's so nice, Sandpebbles! I am glad you find my information so helpful.

Great that things are working out. Yes, my pepper plants love regular showers, both indoors and out. It keeps mites and other pests at bay.

I am still attracting many beneficials to the garden - they are the number one 'organic' pest control of all!

Your seeds will be sent shortly. Good luck with everything Sandpebbles - keep us posted...

20. The Hollyberry Lady

I thought I'd show ya a couple other varieties you may also be interested in, Sandpebbles. These two are from a seed trade with someone in Portugal, from off of this forum!

The 1st pic is "Bolivian Rainbow" which will soon be just that - a rainbow of colors!

The second is called "Trifetti Variegata" - I think it speaks for itself at this point...

; )

Attached Files:

21. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Those look delicious! I potted a pepper plant into a bigger pot, definitely better than those tin cans I've been using. I fear I might have planted too late in the season, and the peppers will likely fry no matter what I do to them, but I've got more seeds for next year!

22. The Hollyberry Lady

If you put them in bigger pots that aren't tin, they should be just fine. Sounds like you're handling it.

23. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hey hollyberry, what are you doing to attract beneficials? i read somewhere that citrus plants tend to attract mites, etc. i have a kumquat plant amoungst my pepper plants. yeah, those green lacewings are awesome. i also watered in some neotodes and something for possibly whiteflies. i ordered a garden variety package for overall coverage. i thought it best to take no further chances. :) your plants are gorgeous. it must be wonderful to sit amoungst them. a slice of heaven. :)

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you, Sandpebbles!

Yes, it is very wonderful to sit in my indoor garden, and enjoy all my flowers, fruits, herbs, and veggies. I am so lucky.

I find that growing a large variety of many different plants, including all the above mentioned, year after year, is ultimately the best way to attract and keep beneficials in the garden.

Also, having a water source for them to drink from is another amazing way to attract them to your garden. Bees, butterflies and ladybugs will be very lured to the water. Offer a shady area for them, as well as sunny spots.

You can order beneficials through the mail, but it is so not necessary. They will come, if you just grow things they like - flowers, flowers, and more flowers!

25. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

LOL...i suppose i got so excited over my peppers, tomatoes and herbs, i forgot the flowers, flowers, flowers....:) talk to you soon.