Appreciation: Conservation status of A. campestre in Britain?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by GreenLarry, Sep 29, 2012.

1. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I was just wondering how common this tree is throughout Britain. Where I live it is not common at all. There are a few in our South Park (planted ) and one large mature specimen near my home. I would like to think that tree has a safe future and that our council dont just see it as another Sycamore!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

As a native, it is fairly common in the south (north to about a line from the Mersey to the Wash) and rarer in the rest of its native area (north to about central Yorkshire and the south end of the Lake District).

As a planted tree up north here (outside its native range), it was rare until about 20 years ago, when councils started including it in street planting schemes, etc., so young specimens are common, but old ones rare.

Remember though that plants cultivated outside their native range don't count towards conservation status, that is only based on natural populations.

3. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Michael. Its the native population Im interested in- I dont think Ive come across one yet.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Conflicting data on just how far north it occurs wild - I've seen claims for Durham and even Northumbs, but the cited cases I've checked myself look planted, growing together with other introduced species, not in even semi-natural woodland. I suspect it is not native anywhere north of the Vale of York.