Cinnamomum verum problems

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by littlejohn657, Jul 30, 2017.

1. littlejohn657

littlejohn657 New Member

I have a couple cinnamon trees. One of them is doing excellent, but the other seems to be struggling for some reason. At first, I thought it was because the leaves were burned a bit last summer when I moved them outside, but the new leaves are having some trouble now too. The end of the leaves seem to be constricted, and sometimes die part way back. The new shoots trying to grow seem to be struggling as well. I can't see any signs of spider mites or other pests, but I'm wondering about treating it with some kind of miticide (doing that perked up some orange trees I used to have). I've included a few photos of the sick plant, as well as one of the healthy plant, and they are the same age. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Watering / fertilizing regime?

3. littlejohn657

littlejohn657 New Member

They get watered about once a week now. The only fertilizer I use is water from my aquarium when I change water every couple weeks (large aquarium with very small bioload; I also do this with my orchids more frequently, and they are doing really well). I did recently transplant these two trees because they were getting a bit too big and I couldn't keep enough water in the pots watering twice a week. But they are both treated the same, i.e. watered at the same time with same water, and both get about the same amount of light, which is why I'm wondering why one is having more trouble than the other.