cestrum elegans

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by hijiki, Jun 22, 2004.

1. hijiki

hijiki Member

Hi,

I live in a townhome, in North Vancouver. I recently spotted a perennial shrub at Park & Tilford gardens that I would like to plant on a trellis in my small back yard.

It is called " cestrum elegans " It is native to Central America. It has beautiful, deep red blossoms that attract butterflys and hummingbirds. Has anyone had any experience with this plant in Vancouver? Any recommendations on where I might obtain it?

Thanks,

John

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cestrum

I have not grown Cestrum elegans, but I have grown Cestrum nocturnum and Cestrum diurnum. They are nice little tropical shrubs. They take some cool weather, but you won't be able to grow it outdoors over the winter in Vancouver. The Cestrums I grew seemed to propagate easily from cuttings and were vigorous growers so a small mother plant can be overwintered indoors and cuttings taken in spring for the garden.Cestrum elegans would make a great potted patio plant. It blooms almost non-stop. I don't know of a source, but look for nurseries that carry tropical plants.