Cercis canadensis 'Avondale"

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by yana, Aug 29, 2011.

1. yana

yana Member

this beautiful little tree has been growing wonderfully since I planted it 3 years ago. This afternoon, to my horror, I noticed about 9 branches at the top of the tree whose leaves had all died (were very crispy), were of colors from buff to yellowy-green, and are still on the branches. So far, the lower half of the tree (tree is about 9ft.) is fine. Tree has hostas and astilbes underneath and so watering is not a problem. Can anyone shed some light on the problem?? I'd hate to lose the tree at this stage...Yana

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' and like other redbuds open well-drained soil is expected to be required for optimum results. Dying back is a frequent problem with redbuds not being given the best situations for them. The companion plants you list may indicate the soil is too damp and heavy for the shrub.

3. yana

yana Member

thank you, Ron, for your reply - I apologize; of course, it's C. chinensis. The soil is well-drained in the whole garden but, as you say, the underplantings and the dripline hose that runs through them may well be the problem. Is there a future for the shrub or should it be replaced?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. yana

yana Member

Detailed advice from my nursery, both Washington State and Wisconsin University Extension atricles, plus examination of the sapwood has indeed shown that the problem with my C. chinensis 'Avondale' is verticillium wilt. I am in the process of removing the still unaffected leaves, in addition, of course, to the affected ones, clearing the surrounding ground of already fallen leaves and bagging the whole works up to be taken to the dump. Sad story, but thankfully, I have room in my garden somewhere else for a replacement with drier soil conditions. Thanks for your help...Yana