carnivorous plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by GardAns, Jun 17, 2018.

1. GardAns

GardAns New Member

hi guys
    Carnivorous plants are something new for me. I got to know about them a few weeks ago when I came across this topic on newspaper. Earlier I knew only one kind of them - flycatcher, also called as Venus flytrap. It always fascinated my; however, now I would like to buy such plant on my own. What carnivorous plants do you recommend for a begginer? Is it hard to take care of it?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I like sundews. The two that I've grown are relatively easy to grow and do not have dormancy requirements: Drosera capensis (Cape Sundew) and Drosera adelae (Lanceleaf Sundew). The latter produces plantlets freely. Their sticky tentacles are perfect for trapping fungus gnats.

3. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Fly traps are the most satisfying. Watching them eat a mosquito is the best revenge imaginable. I have a pitcher plant (nepenthes) whose pitchers easily digest wasps, house flies and other irritants, but you have to feed it. Get an electronic fly swatter before you take on wasps though. They take a lot of killing. The pitcher doesn't care if its alive or dead.