Can anyone identify this orchid?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by linxx, Sep 15, 2008.

1. linxx

linxx Member

I purchased this orchid from a kiosk in a mall a couple of years ago. The salesperson called it a "jasmine orchid" because it gets small white blooms which smell like jasmine. (He had another one there which was blooming, although this one has never bloomed.) The plant has done very poorly for me, and I cannot find it so far in orchid books or on the net. I treat it like my other orchids, but it is either diseased or does not have the right conditions. The leaves seem to grow well for a while, then turn brown and fall off. The plant doesn't actually die, but never grows well either. If anyone can let me know what conditions it may need, I will be very thankful.

Attached Files:

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I can only guess that might be a Dendrobium (only based on the cane type pseudobulb and the leaves). That silvery sheen usually means thrips or mites infesting the plant, both of which really slow plants down. Sorry only my best guess.

Shaun

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it. I would guess it is a Dendrobium kingianun, or something along that line. How are you doing with it?

4. linxx

linxx Member

Well, I hate to say...but I got so frusterated with it that, after trying everything I (and others) knew, and it didn't respond, I threw it out. End of plant, end of problem. Thanks anyways for your reply.